Does office computer work really make people sick? Well, I have read from HR Magazine issued August 2010 that men are four times more likely than women to phone in sick. The reason is no other than work-related stress. The study also showed that work-induced stress is also driving more men to drink after work to relieve stress than women.
Anyway, the literature have caught my attention because the top five work factors that triggers stress for men and women have listed computers as a reason. I’ll list here the things which makes office workers get stressed.
Top five work stress triggers for women
1. Dealing with difficult clients/customers
2. Heavy workload
3. Computer freezing in the middle of an important job
4. Boss demanding too much extra work
5. Computer taking too long to get going
Top five work stress triggers for men
1. Heavy workload
2. Boss demanding too much extra work
3. Dealing with difficult clients/customers
4. Computer freezing in the middle of an important job
5. Boss asking for work to be done that is outside job description
The study is based on 3,000 workers and it can be seen that computer related things have been a top five cause for stress of workers whether male or female. I work with computers everyday and outdoor break is one of the best way to fight work stress.
I went on a vacation last month to go outing with family. We went boating and snorkeling adventure. It’s a good experience as no calls from the office; just nature all around. Truly, the outdoor break relieved me of office computer work stress.